History of Tynock National School
There was always a great interest in education in the area.
Even before the National education act of 1829 there were two schools in the area. A hedge school in Knocklishen and a school in Tynaclash, Kiltegan. In the return for the year 1827, it was noted that there were 40 small children in attendance at the school in Knocklishen. This school was taught by a man named Edward Darcy. In wet weather they were taught in his house but in fine weather they were taught outdoors. Edward Darcy was succeeded by his son Thomas and his grandson Michael, who emigrated to Australia.
The same records show that the school at Tynaclash, Kiltegan had 86 boys and 58 girls. and was attached to the church in Tynock which had been newly built in 1826-27. A public school house was built on the site of an old chapel in Tynaclash , Kitegan- where the community hall now stands.
It was destroyed during a fire and the school was temporarily moved to Barco’s house. The school in Tynock was built in late 1940’s. Mr Moriarty was the Principal and Mrs Moriarty named the school as she had a great belief in the saint. ………….built the school. The school was refurbished in 1983 and the school was temporarily relocated to the curate’s house in Kiltegan.
There have been Five Principals in Tynock NS since 1940’s. Mr Moriarty was principal to 1978. Aidan McNamara succeeded him then Jean Pender, then Deirdre Walsh and currently Ms Aisling Grace. Some of the teachers and staff previously in Tynock NS include Eileen Lyons, Noirín Moore, Maire Ni Shé, Bríd Ní Shiocrú Kathleen Doyle (nee Keane or Ni Chathain), Mary Lacey, Clare O’Neill, Clar Nic Gabhain, Jean Pender, Maureen Colleran, Marie King and Deirdre Walsh.
The staff at present include: Aisling Grace, Dawn Keogh, Eimear Rogers, Siobhan Kealy, Annemarie Hedderman, Betty Hedderman, Jacqueline Locke and Margaret Goggin.
Mrs K O’Toole published extracts from her father’s historical papers and these were used as a source for this piece.